Tax Law-IRS Forms-Taxation Information-Tax Articles
Talk to a Lawyer
Enter a zip code to speak to Lawyer that serves your area.
What is Tax Law?
Tax law is a complex area of law that is constantly changing. Individuals and businesses that have questions about tax law, or are facing tax debts and penalties, could greatly benefit from the advice of an experienced tax lawyer. An attorney who thoroughly understands tax law can help taxpayers through difficult problems with the IRS or state department of revenue and/or help clients avoid future problems with the government.
People that need a tax attorney are generally facing serious actions, like audits, fines and liens.
Audits An audit is a review of your tax return conducted by the IRS or state department of revenue. The IRS and state department of revenue have limited rights when conducting a tax audit. Know what your rights are by contacting a tax attorney in your state.
Fines The IRS may fine you for fraudulent tax returns, inaccuracy, failure to file a timely return, and others that an experienced tax attorney can discuss with you. Fines can add up quickly for innocent mistakes; make sure you are protected.
Liens Failure to pay taxes can result in a lien on your property. A lien is way for the IRS to use your property as collateral for money that you owe the government. Failure to pay back fines and taxes may result in the loss of your property.
Tax law can be scary. Especially when you are not aware that you did anything wrong or don't know your rights. Consulting a tax attorney early can help you avoid saying things that can get you in trouble and provide you with the information you need to be successful in your tax matters.
Since tax law changes just about every year, it is important to hire a tax lawyer who stays up-to-date on the latest laws that can affect you. It particularly behooves small business owners to invest in a competent tax attorney. With so many taxes to keep track of, including payroll tax, employment tax, income tax and state sales tax, it is easy to make a mistake. Tax attorneys can help small business owners avoid detrimental mistakes.
It is important to realize that as a business owner, you may be personally responsible for any delinquent taxes of your business. For this reason, it is a good idea to consult a tax attorney before submitting your taxes every year. A tax attorney may be able to spot something that you or your accountant overlooked and help you prepare for the future.
- Income Tax Breaks For Students If you, your spouse, or your children attended college in 2000, you may be able to take advantage
- The Tax Benefits Of Home Ownership Everyone knows that owning a home is the American dream, but did you know that borrowing to pay for one is a taxpayer's dream?
- What Do I Do With This 1099-Misc? If you've been doing a little moonlighting as a consultant, you may be a little bit surprised to get one or more IRS forms 1099i's in the mail come January.
- Sales Tax, A Brief Explanation Sales taxes are imposed by state and local governments on the sale of goods and services...
- What Are Payroll Taxes Payroll taxes are the state and federal taxes that you, as an employer, are required to withhold and/or to pay
- When Must You Withhold Taxes For Someone Who Works For You? Is your business is getting to the point where you are beginning to need a little outside help?
- ABA Section of Taxation
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants News and products
- Citizens for Tax Justice A nonpartisan, nonprofit research and advocacy organization.
- Cross Border Tax and Transactions Information on international business.
- Department of the Treasury
Tax Law Attorneys By State
Finding a lawyer couldn't be easier! To locate a lawyer in your area choose your state, then your city and then choose a type of law relevant to your situation.