Kyle Knapp

Attorney · Capital University Law School

Kyle A. Knapp is an experienced immigration attorney. He earned his law degree from Capital University Law School in 1998 and is licensed to practice in Ohio and Florida.

Law practice. Kyle concentrates his practice on helping organizations hire individuals who are not U.S. citizens. He also advises organizations on the requirements to ensure that all of their employees have authorization to work in the United States. The former sometimes is referred to as "visa processing," while the latter is referred to as "I-9 compliance."   Additionally, Kyle assists individuals with naturalization applications for U.S. citizenship and with family-based immigration cases to sponsor relatives for lawful permanent resident status.

Areas of expertise. The U.S. immigration laws have become increasingly complex. Kyle parses through statutes, regulations and agency guidance and explains to organizations in simple terms what steps they must follow to hire individuals who are not U.S. citizens. His areas of expertise include a wide range of nonimmigrant (i.e. temporary) and immigrant (i.e. green card or permanent resident) visas. In the nonimmigrant category, he has extensive experience with B/Visa Waiver (visitors for business or pleasure), E (treaty traders and investors), F (students), H (specialty occupation workers for individuals with relevant college degrees), J (exchange visitors), L (intracompany transferees from affiliate organizations abroad), O (individuals of extraordinary ability), R (ministers) and TN (professional workers from Canada and Mexico under the North American Free Trade Agreement).

Clients. In the immigrant category, Kyle has helped organizations and individuals apply for green cards through the labor certification process (called PERM), priority worker petitions (extraordinary ability, outstanding researcher/professor, multinational manager), and religious worker petitions. The various occupations have included information technology professionals, scientists, engineers, financial analysts, university professors, nurses, physicians, ministers, social workers, psychologist, and managers and executives.

Consulting. As part of his I-9 compliance work, Kyle advises human resources professionals on the requirements to document the work authorization of new employees and avoid discriminating against individuals based upon national origin or citizenship status. The I-9 form is deceptively complex, and Kyle helps those involved in preparing and maintaining it understand its nuances and comply with regulatory requirements.

Find Kyle at

Articles By Kyle Knapp

How to Change From an F-2 Visa to an H-1B Visa
If you are in the United States on an F-2 visa—that is, as the dependent of an academic student on an F-1 visa—and an employer offers you a job, getting an H-1B visa might be a good possibility.
Can You Stay in the U.S. Legally While in Between Visas?
There are legal ways to switch from one visa status to another with a gap in between, but only if you make sure that you never let one visa lapse without having another one in the works.
Can You Stay in the U.S. Longer With an I-539 Application?
The I-539 form, issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), allows people in the U.S. on nonimmigrant (temporary) visas to apply to switch to another type of visa (change status) or to extend their U.S. stay.
R-2 Visa for Family of Religious Workers (R-1 Holders)
An R-2 visa is a U.S. nonimmigrant (temporary) visa that may be issued to the spouse and unmarried children (under 21 years) of R-1 visa holders.
EB-3 Visa for Professional, Skilled, or Unskilled Workers
EB-3 immigrant visas allow certain professional workers, skilled workers, and unskilled workers to obtain a U.S. green card or permanent resident status.
Extending or Changing Your Visa Status: I-539 Filing Fees, Lawyer Fees, and Fee Waiver
If you are looking to extend your U.S. visa, or change your status to another visa, you'll be filing an I-539 application and related documents. Here's what to expect in filing fees and lawyer costs.
Filing Form I-829 to Remove Conditions on EB-5 Status
If you received "conditional residence" through the EB-5 investor visa program, you will need to complete and submit for I-829 within the time limits to become a legal permanent resident.
Timeline for Filing the I-129 Form for an Nonimmigrant Worker
Failure to file the I-129 form with USCIS at the right time could lead to denied U.S. immigration status or the continuation of existing legal employment status.
Timeline of the U.S. Labor Certification Process
One of the major steps in sponsoring a foreigner for work in the U.S. is the labor certification process. Here's what to expect.
Changing Status From F-1 Student Visa to H-1B Work Visa
If you are a foreign student in the U.S. who is interested in getting a temporary visa to work in the U.S. after graduation, an H-1B visa, for temporary specialty workers, is a possibility.