Cynthia Yializis

Cynthia Yializis, J.D., has practiced both family and employment based immigration law for over five years. She discovered her interest in this field as a law student interning at Irish Refugee Legal Services. This experience made her realize that she wanted to use her law degree to help those who are seeking a better life and opportunity. She has since worked in both private practice and higher education. Cynthia is currently serving as the Assistant Director of the Center for International Legal Education at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, and maintains a regular pro bono immigration practice.

Cynthia received her law degree from the University of Pittsburgh and her bachelor’s degree in molecular and cellular biology from the University of Arizona. In her spare time, she enjoys travel, fitness, and writing.

Learn more about Cynthia's legal practice at  Yializis Law. Cynthia can also be found on   Google +.

Articles By Cynthia Yializis

Overstayed on a Student Visa: Options to Stay in the U.S.
If you've overstayed an F-1 or J-1 student visa, you have a few options to stay in or return to - the U.S.
How Much Will It Cost to Get a U.S. Travel Document?
There are several reasons you might need to file for a U.S. travel document. Here's what it will cost.
Cost of I-130 Family Immigration Petition: Lawyer and Filing Fees
Learn about the costs of the I-130 petition process used to initiate a family member's application for a green card.
Applying for a U.S. Student Visa While on a Tourist Visa
Learn about the tricky legal issues you might encounter if you'd like to stay in the U.S. to study after having entered on a B-2 tourist visa.
Can a J-1 Visa Holder Get a Green Card?
The J-1 visa has certain restrictions that can impact your ability to apply for a green card.
What If Documents for Your Green Card Application Are Unavailable?
If you're applying to become a legal permanent resident of the U.S., you'll need to submit certain documents to support your case. Here's what's expected of you if you can't get them.
Can You Maintain Legal Status With an Expired F-1 Student Visa?
You can still maintain your legal status as an F-1 student, even after your visa stamp has expired.
How Foreign-Born Adopted Children Get U.S. Citizenship
Learn about the two ways foreign-born adopted children can become U.S. citizens through their adoptive parents.
How to Extend Your F-1 Student Visa
If you are making normal progress towards your school degree, but you need more time than was authorized on your I-20 form, here's how to extend your F-1 status.
Why You May Be Denied an F-1 U.S. Student Visa
Learn about failures to meet the basic requirements and other likely reasons for denial of a student visa.