The Foreclosure Process and Laws in Wyoming

Learn how foreclosures in Wyoming work.

If you default on your home loan payments in Wyoming, the servicer (on behalf of the loan owner, called the "lender" in this article) will eventually begin the foreclosure process. The method will most likely be nonjudicial, although judicial foreclosures are also allowed.

Wyoming law specifies how nonjudicial procedures work, and both federal and state laws give you rights and protections throughout the foreclosure.

Mortgage Loans in Wyoming

If you get a loan to buy a home in Wyoming, you'll likely sign two documents: a promissory note and a mortgage. The promissory note is the document that contains your promise to repay the loan along with the repayment terms.

The mortgage is the document that gives the lender a security interest in the property and will probably include a power of sale clause. If you fail to make the payments, the power of sale clause gives the lender the right to sell the home nonjudicially so it can recoup the money it loaned you.

What Happens If You Miss a Mortgage Payment

If you miss a payment, the servicer can usually charge a late fee after the grace period expires. Most mortgage loans give a grace period of ten to fifteen days, for example, before you'll incur late charges. To find out the grace period in your situation and the amount of the late fee, review the promissory note or your monthly billing statement.

If you miss a few mortgage payments, the servicer will probably send letters and call you to try to collect. Federal mortgage servicing laws require the servicer to contact you (or attempt to contact you) by phone to discuss foreclosure alternatives—called "loss mitigation" options—no later than 36 days after a missed payment and again within 36 days after each following missed payment. (12 C.F.R. § 1024.39).

No more than 45 days after a missed payment, the servicer must let you know in writing about loss mitigation options that could be available, and assign personnel to help you. Some exceptions to a few of these requirements exist, like if you file for bankruptcy or tell the servicer not to contact you under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. (12 C.F.R. § 1024.39).

What Is a Breach Letter?

Many mortgages in Wyoming have a provision that requires the lender to send a breach letter if you fall behind in payments. This notice tells you that the loan is in default. If you don't cure the default, the lender can accelerate the loan (call it due) and go ahead with the foreclosure.

When Does Foreclosure Start?

Federal law generally requires the servicer to wait until the loan is over 120 days delinquent before officially starting a foreclosure. However, in a few situations, like if you violate a due-on-sale clause or if the servicer is joining the foreclosure action of a superior or subordinate lienholder, the foreclosure can begin sooner. (12 C.F.R. § 1024.41).

State Foreclosure Laws in Wyoming

Again, most Wyoming foreclosures are nonjudicial.

Notice of the Foreclosure

To foreclose a home in Wyoming, the lender has to publish a notice of sale in a newspaper once a week for four consecutive weeks before the sale. (Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 34-4-104). At least ten days before the first publication of the notice of sale, the lender must send you (the homeowner), by certified mail, a notice of intent to foreclose. (Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 34-4-103).

Also, before the first date of publication, the lender must send a copy of the notice of sale to you and various other parties by certified mail. (Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 34-4-104).

The Foreclosure Sale

The sale is a public sale, open to all bidders. The lender usually makes a bid on the property using a "credit bid" rather than bidding cash. With a credit bid, the lender gets a credit up to the amount of the borrower's debt. The highest bidder at the sale becomes the new owner of the property.

Right to Reinstate Before a Foreclosure Sale in Wyoming

"Reinstating" is when a borrower pays the overdue amount, plus fees and costs, to bring the loan current and stop a foreclosure. Wyoming law doesn't give you the right to reinstate the mortgage before the sale.

But even though state law doesn't give a legal right to reinstate, your lender might allow you to pay the money you owe to bring your account current or the terms of your mortgage contract might give you the right to reinstate before the sale.

Deficiency Judgments Following the Sale in Wyoming

Sometimes, a foreclosure sale doesn't bring in enough money to pay off the full amount owed on the loan. The difference between the sale price and the total debt is called a "deficiency balance." Many states allow the lender to get a personal judgment, called a "deficiency judgment," for this amount against the borrower.

In Wyoming, the lender can seek a deficiency judgment against you by filing a lawsuit following the foreclosure. (Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 34-4-113 and § 1-18-113).

Redemption Period After a Foreclosure Sale in Wyoming

Some states have a law that gives a foreclosed homeowner time after the foreclosure sale to redeem the property. Foreclosed homeowners in Wyoming can redeem the home within:

  • three months from the sale date, or
  • 12 months from the sale date, if the property is agricultural. (Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 1-18-103(a),(b)).

As of July 1, 2019, Wyoming law gives the purchaser from the foreclosure sale a limited right to inspect the home during the redemption period. The purpose of this law is so that the purchaser can ensure that the property doesn't significantly deteriorate during the full redemption period. Under the law, "limited right of entry" means entrance into a premises that's not occupied by a legal inhabitant. (Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 1-18-111).

Getting Help from a Wyoming Foreclosure Lawyer

Foreclosure laws are complicated. Servicers and lenders sometimes make errors or forget steps. If you think your servicer or lender failed to complete a required step, made a mistake, or violated state or federal foreclosure laws, you might have a defense that could force a restart to the foreclosure or you might have leverage to work out an alternative.

Consider talking to a local foreclosure attorney or legal aid office immediately to learn about your rights. A lawyer can also tell you about different ways to avoid foreclosure. Likewise, a HUD-approved housing counselor can provide helpful information (at no cost) about various alternatives to foreclosure.

Talk to a Foreclosure attorney.
We've helped 75 clients find attorneys today.
There was a problem with the submission. Please refresh the page and try again
Full Name is required
Email is required
Please enter a valid Email
Phone Number is required
Please enter a valid Phone Number
Zip Code is required
Please add a valid Zip Code
Please enter a valid Case Description
Description is required

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you