Florida Home Foreclosure Laws

Find out how foreclosures proceed in Florida.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) update: On April 2, 2020, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed Executive Order 20-94 suspending all foreclosures and evictions in Florida for 45 days because of the coronavirus pandemic. The governor later issued Executive Order Number 20-121 extending the state's foreclosure suspension to June 2, 2020. The governor then extended the moratorium again until July 1, 2020. If you have a specific kind of mortgage loan, you might be entitled to a longer moratorium.

If you’re a struggling homeowner facing foreclosure in Florida, you should prepare yourself for the process by learning as much as you can about the state’s foreclosure laws. In this article, you can learn about:

  • foreclosures procedures in Florida
  • the type of notice you’ll get telling you that a foreclosure has started
  • whether you get the right to get current and reinstate the loan, and
  • whether you might have to pay a deficiency judgment after the foreclosure.

You’ll also get information about significant protections for homeowners in foreclosure, like the 120-day preforeclosure period under federal law and the right to redeem (repurchase) the home under state law.

120-Day Preforeclosure Period Under Federal Law

Under federal law, in most cases, a loan servicer must wait until you're over 120 days' delinquent before filing the lawsuit to start the foreclosure process. (12 C.F.R. § 1024.41). This preforeclosure period is a good time to submit an application for a loss mitigation option (an alternative to foreclosure), like a loan modification, to your servicer.

Federal mortgage servicing laws also provides other protections to homeowners facing a foreclosure.

Florida Foreclosure Procedures

In Florida, the foreclosing bank files a lawsuit in court to start the foreclosure and gives notice of the suit by serving the borrower with a summons and complaint. The borrower gets 20 days to file an answer with the court.

If you don't file an answer, the bank can get a default judgment from the court. On the other hand, if you file an answer, the bank will probably file a motion for summary judgment. This motion asks that the court grant judgment in favor of the bank because there’s no dispute about the important facts of the case, your defense lacks merit, or you haven't proven wrongdoing by the bank or servicer. If the court denies summary judgment, then a trial may happen. If the court grants summary judgment (or you lose at trial), the court will enter a final judgment of foreclosure against you. The foreclosure sale must take place 20 to 35 days after the judgment date unless the court order says otherwise. (Fla. Stat. § 45.031).

The bank has to publish a notice of the foreclosure sale in a newspaper once a week for two consecutive weeks, with the second publication at least five days before the sale. (Fla. Stat. § 45.031).

Reinstating the Loan to Stop the Sale

“Reinstating” is when the borrower catches up on the defaulted mortgage's missed payments, plus fees and costs, to stop a foreclosure sale from happening.

Florida law does not give the borrower the right to reinstate before the sale. But most mortgages give the borrower a certain amount of time to reinstate the loan. Or the bank might allow reinstatement, even if the mortgage contract doesn't provide this right.

Redemption Rights in Florida

Some states allow the borrower to redeem the home within a specific period after a foreclosure. In Florida, the borrower can redeem the home at any time before:

  • the court clerk files the certificate of sale (which the clerk files promptly after the foreclosure sale), or
  • the time specified in the foreclosure judgment, whichever is later. (Fla. Stat. § 45.0315). (To get details on redemption rights in Florida, see Nolo’s article If I lose my home to foreclosure in Florida, can I get it back?)

Deficiency Judgment Laws in Florida

When the total mortgage debt exceeds the foreclosure sale price, the difference is called a deficiency. Some states allow the bank to seek a personal judgment—called a deficiency judgment—against the borrower for this amount. Other states prohibit deficiency judgments with anti-deficiency laws.

In Florida, the foreclosing party may obtain a deficiency judgment:

  • as part of the foreclosure action (if the borrower was personally served the foreclosure complaint), or
  • in a separate lawsuit, unless the court has granted or denied a claim for a deficiency judgment in the foreclosure action. (Fla. Stat. § 702.06).

The foreclosing party has one year to request the deficiency judgment. This period begins the day after the court clerk issues a certificate of title to the buyer who purchased the home at the foreclosure sale. (Fla. Stat. § 95-11). If there are no objections to the sale, the clerk issues the certificate of title ten days after the certificate of sale.

The court has some flexibility when it comes to the deficiency amount. The amount can't exceed the difference between the judgment amount and the fair market value in the case of an owner-occupied residential property. (Fla. Stat. § 702.06).

After the Foreclosure Sale

In Florida, the bank (usually the high bidder at the foreclosure sale) will typically get a right to possession in the foreclosure judgment. After the clerk files the certificate of title, the bank can then file a motion for a writ of possession. Once the court grants the motion, the clerk of court issues the writ and the sheriff executes it.

Getting Help

This article contains citations to Florida’s foreclosure laws so you can read the statutes yourself. Keep in mind that statutes change, so checking them is always a good idea. (If you need help finding the statutes, see Finding Your State’s Foreclosure Laws.) How courts and agencies interpret and apply the law can also change. And some rules can even vary within a state. These are just some of the reasons to consider consulting a lawyer if you’re facing a foreclosure.

You should also consider talking to a lawyer if you want to get more information about foreclosure procedures in Florida or find out about potential defenses to a foreclosure. Moreover, it's a good idea to make an appointment to speak to a HUD-approved housing counselor if you want to learn about different loss mitigation options and how to apply for one.

Talk to a Lawyer

Start here to find foreclosure lawyers near you.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to a Foreclosure attorney.

We've helped 75 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you