What Should I Do if I Find a Mistake on My Bankruptcy Petition?

You must fix mistakes on your bankruptcy petition or schedules by filing an amendment and informing the bankruptcy trustee.

By , Attorney

Mistakes happen—including on bankruptcy paperwork. But it isn't the end of the world. Being forthright about a bankruptcy paperwork error will go far in the eyes of the bankruptcy trustee and your creditors. So if you find a mistake on your filing, you'll want to fix it right away by amending the bankruptcy form and serving it on the trustee and affected creditors.

Learn more about the papers you need to file in bankruptcy.

Telling the Truth on the Bankruptcy Petition

Most people who file for bankruptcy are asking the court to wipe out (discharge) a large amount of debt. While the law allows for this fresh start, it also requires you to provide accurate information about every aspect of your financial situation on the official bankruptcy paperwork. The disclosures give notice to your creditors about the discharge. The bankruptcy trustee appointed to administer your case also reviews your assertions to ensure that you don't keep more money or property than allowed.

By signing your bankruptcy petition, you declare under penalty of perjury that all of the information in it is accurate, correct, and truthful to the best of your knowledge. So if you find a mistake, you'll need to change it.

Common Bankruptcy Paperwork Mistakes

Here are some common errors that occur in bankruptcy paperwork:

  • forgetting to list an item of property
  • disclosing an incorrect property value
  • forgetting a creditor, such as a relative or the holder of an old debt, or
  • omitting income from a side business.

Keep reading to find out what to do.

Amend Your Petition

You can fix any mistake by filing an amendment to your bankruptcy petition and informing the bankruptcy trustee. You'll use the same forms that you used for your original filing. The only difference is that the fixed page will have the word "Amended" on it. It is not necessary to amend every page filed originally, only the particular schedule with the mistake. For instance, if you forgot to list the tractor you lent to your brother, then you'll amend the Schedule A/B: Property.

Your local bankruptcy court could have additional requirements, such as including a cover page. It's a good idea to consult the court's website or contact the clerk of the court about local requirements. Once complete, you'll file the form with the court and serve it on the trustee and affected creditors.

Find your local court's website using the Federal Court Finder.

Tell the Trustee

If the mistake is significant, it's probably a good idea to consult with a bankruptcy attorney. The attorney will likely call the trustee and explain it on your behalf.

If it's relatively minor, then you'll likely be fine waiting until the meeting of creditors—the one meeting all filers must attend. At the meeting, it's common for the trustee to ask whether all of the information provided on your petition is true and correct. Tell the trustee about the mistake then. If the trustee fails to ask that question—which would be unusual—let the trustee know before the meeting ends and provide a copy of the amended schedule.

Amend Even After the Meeting of Creditors

If you don't realize that you made a mistake until after the 341 meeting, you'll still need to amend. The trustee will determine whether another meeting is necessary based on the nature of your amendment. If you think you need to provide a more detailed explanation, many trustees will talk with you on the phone. This approach might help you avoid another appearance. Again, consider consulting with a local bankruptcy attorney before speaking with the trustee. A local attorney will likely have an established relationship with the trustee.

If You Don't Fix Your Mistake

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) investigates bankruptcy fraud—a fact highlighted on posters inside the 341 meeting rooms. If you do nothing about a mistake—especially if the error allows you to keep more money or property than you are entitled to—you might open yourself up to investigation. Since even innocently failing to disclose information could raise suspicion about the accuracy of your petition, the better practice is to fix mistakes promptly. No one wants to speak with the FBI under even the best of circumstances. Also, if the trustee finds out that you didn't disclose everything, the trustee could ask the court to deny your discharge.

Learn more in Red Flags the Bankruptcy Trustee Looks for at the Meeting of Creditors.

Get Professional Help

Get debt relief now.

We've helped 205 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to a Bankruptcy Lawyer

Need professional help? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you