Filing For Bankruptcy

Filing for Chapter 7, Chapter 13, or Chapter 11 bankruptcy involves fully disclosing your financial affairs on bankruptcy forms. You’ll list income sources and assets, expenses and debts—even property transfers occurring up to ten years before the petition filing—on the petition, schedules, and other documents.

Completing the paperwork takes time. Even the most simple filings are about fifty pages long. If time isn’t something you’ve got—for instance, you’re filing for bankruptcy on the eve of a foreclosure sale—you can file a shortened version called an emergency or skeleton bankruptcy filing.

It takes more than filling out bankruptcy forms to start a bankruptcy case, however. Consumer filers must attend a credit counseling course and attach the completion certificate to the filing documents. Chapter 13 and 11 debtors seeking to reorganize debt must draft and file a proposed repayment plan detailing how each creditor will be paid.

The final step? Be prepared to pay the bankruptcy filing fee. Chapter 7 filers short on cash can ask the court to waive it or to allow payment in installments.

The bankruptcy articles below explain the financial documents you’ll need and where to find the bankruptcy forms. You’ll also find information about credit counseling, fee waivers, emergency filings, and more.

Related Issues: Bankruptcy planning information, such as filing timing, things to avoid before filing for bankruptcy, and multiple bankruptcy filings are located in the prebankruptcy planning area.

Get Professional Help
Get debt relief now.
We've helped 205 clients find attorneys today.
There was a problem with the submission. Please refresh the page and try again
Full Name is required
Email is required
Please enter a valid Email
Phone Number is required
Please enter a valid Phone Number
Zip Code is required
Please add a valid Zip Code
Please enter a valid Case Description
Description is required

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you