If My Visa Expires Must I Leave the U.S. To Wait For My Green Card?

If your visa has expired, will you need to leave the country to wait for your green card? It depends on where you are in the application process.

Any immigrant with a pending green card application (for U.S. permanent or conditional residence) is allowed to remain in the United States until the application is decided upon by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). However, the key is to understand whether or not  you really have a pending green card application. Many people get this wrong and spend time in the U.S. unlawfully, for which there are severe penalties under the U.S. immigration laws.

What Does It Mean to Have a Pending Green Card Application?

Let's start with what does NOT constitute a pending green card application. If your family member or employer has merely started the process off for you, by filing what's known as a visa petition (typically on USCIS Form I-130 or I-140),  that's not enough. A pending or approved visa petition gives you no rights to come to or remain in the United States. (The exception would be if this application was filed concurrently with  your Adjustment of Status application, described below.)

In fact, depending on the green card category you'll be applying in, you may be facing a wait of several years after your visa petition was filed until a visa  becomes available to you.  If  you spend that wait living in the U.S. unlawfully, you  can ruin your chances of getting a  green card anytime soon. In the meantime, you risk being caught by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and deported.

Only when you yourself, as the immigrant, have filled out forms in your own name in order to apply for lawful permanent residence, can you be said to have a pending green card application. For many people, that requires filling out forms provided by a U.S. consulate in their home country and, if  they're in the United States,  leaving  in order to attend their immigrant visa interview there.

A few lucky people are allowed to stay in the United States and apply for their green card here, using a procedure called "Adjustment of Status." You'd know you've applied for Adjustment of Status if the primary form you filled out  was an I-485. After submitting  the Adjustment of Status application packet, you'll normally receive a work permit, allowing you to not only live in the United States but accept employment here. You're likely to wait several months until  your adjustment  interview, at which your application for a green card is likely to be approved or denied.    

What If You Stay in the United States Illegally?

To further add to the confusion, there are a few categories of people who, if they manage to stay in the U.S. illegally without getting caught, can still apply for adjustment of status here. Many people have done this while either  waiting to finish preparing their Adjustment of Status application or while waiting for a visa to become available to them (otherwise known as waiting for your Priority Date -- the date on which your visa petition was first filed -- to become current).

People who can apply to adjust status even after living in the U.S. without valid visa status include some who qualify under an old law called Section 245(i), as well as  immediate relatives of U.S. citizens who entered the U.S. legally. In fact, if such people have already stayed in the U.S. unlawfully for several months, they're better off trying to stay around and adjust status rather than leaving the U.S. for consular processing, because it's only during consular processing that an immigrant can be penalized for an overstay by being prevented from returning to the U.S. for a period of years.

But don't attempt to analyze whether you might fit into one of these categories on your own. As you can see, this is a highly complicated area of immigration law, and it's  full of exceptions and traps. To read more about this issue, see our article, Can I Apply for a Green Card If I'm in the U.S. on an Expired Visa?

When to See an Immigration Attorney

If you are in the United States on a visa and are in danger of the visa expiring before you apply for your green card,  consult an immigration attorney immediately. Your  attorney can analyze your rights based on your visa history and your green card application category, and can explain the benefits and risks of either remaining in or leaving the United States for the remainder of your green card application process.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to an Immigration attorney.

We've helped 85 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you