How to Apply for a Green Card Based on Registry

If you are eligible for a green card based on registry, you'll apply to adjust status much like other applicants for permanent residency.

Before applying for a green card based on the registry provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act, make absolutely certain that you are eligible. If not, you will be simply bringing your unlawful presence to the attention of the immigration authorities, which could result in your deportation from the United States. See  Eligibility for a Green Card Under the Registry Provision of the I.N.A. for information on who is eligible. Consult a lawyer if you have any questions or doubts.

Submitting Your Application

Once you decide to apply, there is no special immigration form designed solely for registry applicants. To file, you must complete Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, and attach the same materials that other adjustment applicants do (such as a fee and photographs), as well as documents described below. Note, however, that you will not be required to include a medical exam report in your application.

You may want to hire an attorney at this point to help with the application process and avoid any problems. Lawyers add some cost, but can save you from problems with the process down the road.

Documents You'll Need

The documents you gather are the most important part of the application process. Simply asserting that you have lived in the United States since January 1, 1972—without providing any documents to substantiate your testimony and those of your witnesses—is useless. To prove your continuous residence in the United States, you must submit as many of the following documents as possible with your adjustment of status application:

  • your passport and Form I-94, which shows your date of arrival into the United States
  • any certificate issued by the government showing birth, death, or marriage of any member of your immediate family in the United States
  • any government-issued license, such as a driver’s license, business license, fishing license, car license, or professional license
  • lease to your apartment and business, rent receipts, or, if you owned your own home, title to your home, mortgage contract, and deed of sale
  • bills showing use of gas and electricity, telephone, and other utilities for each of your home addresses during the years you have been living in the United States
  • bank statements, bank book, deposit box agreement, or credit union savings account
  • pay stubs, job identification card, union membership, W-2 forms, letters of recommendation from previous employers, daily attendance sheets, and job memos addressed to you
  • subscriptions to magazines and newspapers or cable and Internet service
  • proof of membership in health or private clubs, churches, or social organizations
  • any photos showing you at events that indicate precise dates, such as marriage or religious ceremonies, with invitations showing when and where they occurred
  • medical and dental records
  • credit card statements or statements from credit institutions showing payment of longstanding debts, such as car, student, and vacation loans
  • letters addressed to you with clear postmarks, and
  • written statements from relatives, friends, employers, a pastor or a priest, a school officer, or a police precinct attesting to the fact that you have lived continuously in the United States since January 1, 1972.

You will submit your application to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services by mail. Then you will wait several months for an interview. During those months, you will be called in for biometrics (fingerprinting), and the prints will be sent to the FBI for a check of your criminal and immigration record.

For more information and tips, see our article on completing an I-485 application.

If You Are Approved for Registry

If you are able to provide clear and concrete evidence that you have been living in the United States all these years, USCIS will grant your application. Your permanent residence will begin as of the date your application is approved.

If you are unable to convince USCIS that you qualify for registry and it decides to start removal proceedings against you, consult an immigration attorney immediately (if you haven’t already).

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to an Immigration attorney.

We've helped 85 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you