Exchange Visitor Programs: J-1 vs. Q-1 Visa

If you would like to come to the U.S. as an exchange visitor, the program you choose will determine the type of visa you'll need.

There are two nonimmigrant visa options available to foreign nationals who wish to come to the United States to participate in an exchange visitor program. These are the J-1 exchange visitor visa and the Q-1 international cultural exchange visitor visa.

In order to determine what visa is appropriate for you, the first thing you need to do is look at the exchange program that you are interested in. Each of these visa types is intended for a very specific type of exchange program. This makes it easy for you to know in advance which one you need to apply for once you have been accepted.

J-1 Exchange Programs

The J-1 visa is for educational and cultural exchange programs that have been designated by the U.S. Department of State (DOS). There are over a dozen exchange program categories that each have their own requirements and restrictions. The DOS has also designated a number of organizations to act as sponsors to carry out these program objectives. These organizations are required to be certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP).

With these designations in place, it is very unlikely that you will not know at the time of application that you require the J-1 visa. When you are accepted to the program, you will work with an Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO), who will issue you a DS-2019 form that can only be used to apply for a J-1 visa.

Q-1 Exchange Programs

The Q-1 visa is for international cultural exchange programs that provide practical training and employment to foreign participants. A fundamental component of the employment is that one of your job duties will be to share the history, culture, and traditions of your home country with the United States.

Program sponsors are employers who are able to demonstrate to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that they maintain an established international cultural exchange program. Unlike the J-1 visa, program sponsors are not predesignated and they are not required to be SEVP-certified.

Undecided About a Program?

If you are undecided about what kind of exchange program you want to participate in, you may want to consider the following restrictions and limitations of each visa type:

  • Q-1 exchange programs last only 15 months. There are no options to extend your stay beyond this period, and you will be required to spend one year outside the United States before you can participate in another Q-1 program.
  • J-1 program durations vary depending on what category you want to participate in. Most of these programs will also require you to spend at least one year outside the United States before repeat participation.
  • Some J-1 programs may subject you to a two-year foreign residence requirement. If subjected, you will be required to spend two years outside the United States before you can apply for certain visa types or permanent residence. You do have the option to apply for a waiver of this requirement, but there is no guarantee that it will be approved.
  • USCIS can deny a petition filed by an employer to sponsor you for a Q-1 visa if it determines that the program and/or employment does not satisfy the international cultural exchange program requirements.
  • Q-1 employers must pay you, at minimum, a prevailing wage set forth by the Department of Labor for your occupation type. They must also demonstrate to USCIS that they have the ability to pay that wage.
  • J-1 program sponsors are not required to pay you a prevailing wage. If the program is not offering you a wage at all, you will be required to show that you have enough liquid assets to cover your estimated living expenses for the duration of your program.

Both the J-1 and Q-1 visas provide you with a 30-day period at the end of your program to settle your affairs and plan your travel home.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to an Immigration attorney.

We've helped 85 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you