Documents Needed to File for an EB-2 Employment Visa

Proof of qualifications and other documentary requirements when filing a visa petition in the second preference category.

When an employer (after having received PERM labor certification) files an initial visa petition (Form I-140) for an EB-2 worker to receive a green card, it must include a large number of supporting documents. These serve to prove that the would-be immigrant has the background and qualifications to apply in the second-preference-worker category and to match the offered job.

Below is a handy checklist of the documents that will be needed within each subcategory of the EB-2 employment visa.

In the Second Preference/ National Interest Waiver Subcategory of EB-2

If you are an applicant filing your own visa petition based on a requested national interest waiver of the job offer and labor certification requirements, you’ll need to include the following with your visa petition:

  • DOL Form ETA-750, Part B only, and
  • Written statement, support letters from colleagues and experts in your field, and other documentation explaining why an exemption from the job requirement is in the U.S. national interest.

In the Professional of Exceptional Ability in the Sciences, Arts, or Business Subcategory (EB-2B)

If the employee will be seeking an EB-2B visa, the petition will need to include either:

  • An official academic record, showing that the employee has either a U.S. advanced degree or an equivalent foreign degree, or a U.S. baccalaureate (B.A.) or equivalent foreign degree together with letters from the employee’s current or former employers showing that he or she has at least five years of progressive post-baccalaureate experience in his or her specialty; or
  • At least three of the following:
    • Evidence that the employee has an academic degree, diploma, certificate, or similar award from an institution of learning relating to the area of exceptional ability.
    • Evidence of at least ten years of full-time experience in the field (letters from current or former employers).
    • A license or certification to practice the profession.
    • Evidence that the employee has commanded a comparatively high salary or other compensation.
    • Evidence of membership in professional associations.
    • Evidence of recognition for achievements and significant contributions to the industry or field. This recognition should come from peers, governmental entities, or professional or business organizations.
  • If none of the above types of evidence fits the occupation, submit comparable evidence of eligibility.

If The Employer Did Not Seek a Labor Certification Because It's a "Schedule A" Job:

Regardless of which subcategory the worker is in, the employer may have been able to skip the labor certification part of the process if the job is one of those listed on “Schedule A.” If so, documents to add to the I-140 petition include:

  • An original and one copy of Application for Permanent Employment Certification (Form ETA-9089), including a prevailing wage determination from the SWA. The form need not be certified, but must be signed by an authorized official of the petitioning company.
  • Evidence of compliance with the posting/union notification requirements, including a copy of the posted notice and of any in-house postings via electronic or other media.

Schedule A, Group I: Medical Occupations

In Group I of Schedule A, also add to the I-140 petition:

  • Evidence that notice of filing the Application for Permanent Employment Certification was provided to the bargaining representative of the employer’s employees.

Physical Therapists (Subcategory of Group I)

For physical therapists, submit either:

  • Copy of a U.S. state physical therapist license, or
  • Letter from the state physical therapy licensing agency stating that the therapist meets all the qualifications to sit for the state exam.

Registered Nurses (Subcategory of Group I):

For registered nurses, submit either:

  • Copy of a full and unrestricted state nursing license to practice in the state where the nurse will be employed
  • Copy of the nurse’s certificate from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) , or
  • Evidence that the nurse has passed the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN).

Group II: Exceptional Ability in the Arts or Sciences

For Group II applicants on the Schedule A list, submit either:

  • Documentary evidence showing the widespread acclaim and international recognition accorded the person by recognized experts in the field.
  • Documentation showing that the employee’s work in the artistic or scientific field during the past year did, and his or her intended work in the United States will, require exceptional ability.
  • At least two of the following:
    • Documents proving that the employee has won internationally recognized prizes or awards in his or her field of work.
    • Documents showing membership in selective international associations—associations that require outstanding achievement of their members, as judged by recognized international experts.
    • Articles about the employee’s work appearing in relevant professional publications, including the title, date, and author of such published material.
    • Documents proving that the employee has acted as a judge in international competitions in the field or an allied field.
    • Evidence of original scientific or scholarly research contributions, which were of major significance in the field.
    • Copies of scientific or academic articles by the employee that have been published in international journals (including professional journals with international circulation).
    • Documents proving that the employee’s artistic work has been exhibited in at least two different countries.

For more information on obtaining a green card in the Second Preference category, see Employment-Based Green Cards - Application Process.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to an Immigration attorney.

We've helped 85 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you