How to Get a Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561)

People born outside of the United States to American parents might need to file for a Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (an N-560 or N-561), as described here.

Although the most common way that people become U.S. citizens is by being born in the United States, a few people who were born outside the United States are also considered U.S. citizens by virtue of one or both of their parents being U.S. citizens (either native-born or naturalized). In technical terms, the person has either "acquired" or "derived" U.S. citizenship.

But the people who acquire or derive citizenship will not have a U.S. birth certificate (which is normally the easiest way to prove that one is a citizen). And they won't necessarily receive a document proving their U.S. citizenship. So what can they do if they need such proof? That's what we'll discuss here.

This Is a Separate Process From Applying for Naturalized U.S. Citizenship

Do not confuse the document at issue and application process with the one used by U.S. lawful permanent residents (green card holders) who have completed the required number of years in the U.S. (usually five) and are ready to apply for naturalization. This is a separate path to U.S. citizenship, requiring a different USCIS form (N-400) and a different process, which includes an interview and a test of the immigrant's English language abilities and knowledge of U.S. history and government. If successful, such applicants will be issued a Certificate of Naturalization, which is different than the certificate described in this article. If an applicant seeking naturalization submits the forms described below, requesting a Certificate of Citizenship instead of naturalization, they will be denied.

How to Document U.S. Citizenship Status Received Outside the U.S.

In some cases, the U.S. citizen parents of someone born outside the U.S. might have gone to a U.S. consulate in the country where they were staying and obtained confirmation of the child's birth and U.S. citizenship, but not always.

So, in order to prove their U.S. citizenship, such people can apply to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for a Certificate of Citizenship. If the application is successful, the U.S. government will issue the certificate, and number it either N-560 or N-561. Using that certificate, the applicant will have an easy time obtaining a U.S. passport, Social Security number, and more.

How Do You Apply for a Certificate of Citizenship

To request a Certificate of U.S. Citizenship, you have to fill out either USCIS Form N-600 (together with supporting documents, including your birth certificate and more) or N-600K, depending on whether you are filing on your own behalf or on behalf of a child whom you are adopting from another country.

For complete instructions, the latest fee, and other filing information, see the Forms page of the USCIS website.

If You Need Help Getting a Certificate of Citizenship

If you need assistance figuring out whether you qualify for U.S. citizenship based on the citizenship of your parent or parents, or in filing your forms or applying for a certificate of U.S. citizenship, contact an experienced U.S. immigration attorney.

Talk to an Immigration attorney.
We've helped 85 clients find attorneys today.
There was a problem with the submission. Please refresh the page and try again
Full Name is required
Email is required
Please enter a valid Email
Phone Number is required
Please enter a valid Phone Number
Zip Code is required
Please add a valid Zip Code
Please enter a valid Case Description
Description is required

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you