Enter Your Zip Code to Connect with a Lawyer Serving Your Area
Nolo has been publishing do-it-yourself legal resources for 40 years. You can count on Nolo forms to ensure you make your agreements legal & binding.
This online eForm will ensure you create a fair, binding and legal month-to-month rental agreement. Protect yourself with an agreement that does not violate any landlord-tenant laws. The most important clauses include:
Amount & Purpose of Security Deposit
How, When & How Much Rent Payments Will Be
Utility Payment Agreement
Written by Nolo Law
November 2007, 6th Edition
The form below is a very basic one and has not been vetted by our attorneys nor updated to reflect changing laws. Chances are you will need something more comprehensive. Nolo.com provides much more professional forms.
RENTAL AGREEMENT (MONTH-TO-MONTH)
Agreement between _____________________________________________________, Owner, and _____________________________________________________, Tenant, for a dwelling located at _____________________________________________________(Location).
Tenant agrees to rent this dwelling on a month-to-month basis for $ _______ per month, payable in advance on the ______ day of the calendar month.
The first month's rent for this dwelling is $ ______________.
The security/cleaning deposit on this dwelling is $ _________. It is refundable if Tenant leaves the dwelling reasonably clean and undamaged.
Tenant will give ______ days notice in writing before moving and will be responsible for paying rent through the end of this notice period or until another tenant approved by the Owners has moved in, whichever comes first.
Owners will refund all deposits due within _________ days after Tenant has moved out completely and returned the keys.
Only the following persons _____________________________________________________and pets _____________________________________________________are to live in this dwelling.
Without Owners' prior written permission, no other persons may live there and no other pets may stay there, nor may the dwelling be sublet or used for business purposes.
Remarks (if any):
TENANT AGREES TO THE FOLLOWING:
1) to accept the dwelling "as is," having already inspected it.
2) to keep yards and garbage areas clean.
3) to keep from making loud noises and disturbances and to play music and broadcast programs at all times so as not to disturb other people's peace and quiet.
4) not to paint the dwelling without first getting written permission from the Owner.
5) to park motor vehicles in the assigned space and to keep that space clean of oil drippings and grease.
6) not to repair motor vehicle on the premises (unless it is in an enclosed garage) if such repairs will take longer than a day.
7) to allow Owner to inspect the dwelling, work on it, or show it to prospective tenants at any and all reasonable times.
8) not to keep any liquid-filled furniture in this dwelling.
9) to pay rent by check or money order made payable to the Owner(returned checks will have applicable late payment fees).
10) to pay for repairs of all damage, they or their guests have caused.
11) to pay for any windows broken in the dwelling while they live there.
Violation of any part of this Agreement or nonpayment of rent when due shall be cause for eviction under applicable code sections.
Tenant hereby acknowledges that he has read this Agreement, understands it, agrees to it, and has been given a copy.
Warning: These forms are provided AS IS. They may not be any good. Even if they are good in one jurisdiction, they may not work in another. And the facts of your situation may make these forms inappropriate for you. They are for informational purposes only, and you should consult an attorney before using them.