This space intentionally set to be hidden.

Louisiana Child Support Calculator

Need a lawyer? Choose an area of practice:

To use the child support calculator, select or enter the appropriate information next to each statement.

When you have completed the form, click on the calculate button to get an estimate of the amount of child support that the non-custodial parent will have to pay to the custodial parent in Louisiana.

Disclaimer: Please remember that these calculators are for informational and educational purposes only. The amount of child support a court will order for any particular case may be different from the amount estimated by the calculator.

For the most part, these calculators assume that all of the children at issue will primarily live with one parent. They are not intended to estimate child support for joint physical custody or split custody arrangements.

These calculators do not take into account any possible adjustments for children who are not subject to the custody order, but who are living with one of the parents. Finally, these calculators may be based on older or outdated state guidelines or calculations and may not take into consideration state or federal tax implications on income.

These and many other factors can affect a child support order entered by a court.

Louisiana Child Support

In Louisiana, child support cases are generally divided into three categories: intake, collections, or parent locate. Through Support Enforcement Services (SES), a division of the Office of Family Support, you can receive assistance in locating a non-custodial parent, ordering a paternity test, establishing a child support order, and enforcing child support orders.  Following is a breakdown of some of the services that SES offers:

Locating non-custodial parents
In order to establish a child support order, the SES must know the whereabouts of the non-custodial parent. The SES can help locate a missing parent and/or obtain past due child support through many different resources. These include:

  • The Federal Parent Locator Service: this database provides information on parents receiving social security benefits, veteran’s pensions, and those working for the Federal government.
  • Electronic Parent Locator Network: this resource pools information that makes it possible to search for absent parents throughout the United States.
  • U.S. Treasury Department: for a fee – and if you are eligible – you can obtain a full service Internal Revenue Service collection which can help you collect past due child support.

Establishing a support order
Children are legally entitled to financial support from both parents. The courts set the guidelines for determining how much money is required from the non-custodial parent to support his or her child/ren. These guidelines depend on a number of different factors, including:

  • Number of children in the household 
  • The income of both parents
  • Child care costs
  • Cost of health insurance
  • A provision for miscellaneous expenses

Enforcing a child support order
SES can help enforce support orders if the non-custodial parent is not meeting his or her financial obligations. By income assignment, intercepting state and federal tax refunds and lottery winnings, suspending licenses and registration, denying passports, and requesting a contempt of court charge, the SES can penalize—and attempt to collect payment from—delinquent non-custodial parents.

Find a Local Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys