Lawyer and Filing Fees for an I-192 Waiver

If you need to file for an I-192 waiver, you'll need to pay over five hundred dollars in filing fees, and at least as much to hire an attorney.

Form I-192 Application for Advance Permission to Enter as Nonimmigrant allows inadmissible foreign nationals to apply for advance permission to temporarily enter the United States as a nonimmigrant (that is, on a short-term visa). You are eligible to file this application if you are inadmissible under certain grounds of Section 212(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (I.N.A.) and are one of the following:

  • an inadmissible nonimmigrant who is already in possession of the appropriate documents to enter the United States
  • an inadmissible applicant for T nonimmigrant status, or
  • an inadmissible applicant for U nonimmigrant status.

(For information on eligibility and the filing process, see Filing for an I-192 Waiver: "Forgiveness" of U.S. Inadmissibility.)

Filing Fees

The current filing fee being charged by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for the I-192 application is $930 (as of 2017).

If you are an inadmissible nonimmigrant already in possession of appropriate documents, you are required to file your I-192 application with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and you must provide a check or money order made payable to "U.S. Customs and Border Protection."

If you are an inadmissible applicant for either T or U nonimmigrant status, you must file your application at a USCIS service center and provide a check or money order made payable to the "Department of Homeland Security." Regardless of where you submit your application, the filing fee must be drawn from a U.S. financial institution. Unlike most applications requiring fingerprints, there is no separate biometrics fee for the I-192 application.

If you are filing an I-192 application as an inadmissible applicant for T or U nonimmigrant status, you may be able to waive the USCIS filing fee for your I-192 application. In order to request a fee waiver, you must file Form I-912 Request for Fee Waiver with your I-192. Form I-912 must be accompanied with supporting documentation that shows one or more of the following:

  • You are receiving a means-tested benefit.
  • Your household income is at or below 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines; and/or
  • You have a financial hardship situation you want considered, such as recent unemployment or high medical expenses.

There is no filing fee for Form I-912.

Attorney Fees

Attorney fees vary widely for filing I-192 applications, ranging from as little as five hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. Some of the major factors that will impact attorney fees include, but are not limited to:

  • The specific facts of your case -- If you have a complicated case that involves legal research and/or a lot of supporting documentation that is difficult to collect, you can expect a higher attorney fee.
  • Additional services -- If you are an inadmissible applicant for T or U nonimmigrant status and you wish to have a lawyer help you prepare that application in addition to your I-192 application, an additional fee will likely be charged.
  • The lawyer’s practice setting -- Attorney’s fees vary widely depending on what type of office he or she practices in. If you retain a lawyer who works for a large national practice, you can expect to pay more than if you retain a lawyer who works in a solo or small-sized practice. You will pay significantly less if you are low-income and can find an attorney or a nonprofit organization that offers pro bono (free) legal assistance.

Some immigration lawyers charge a flat fee for all work associated with preparing and filing an application for immigration benefits. Others may charge an hourly fee. Due to the more complex nature of the I-192 application, you can expect to be charged at an hourly rate, as flat fees are typically reserved for more straightforward cases. Either way, expect to spend several hundred dollars or more on attorney fees alone.

(See our section on Using an Immigration Lawyer to learn more about working with and paying an immigration attorney.)

No matter what, you should consult with several different immigration lawyers to determine the most reasonable fee for your case. Some lawyers may charge a small consultation fee to do this, but many will deduct that fee from the total amount of attorney fees charged if you end up retaining them.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you